[bug] misdetection of syncrate in aic7xxx version 5.1.19

Meurisse Vincent Vincent.Meurisse at icn.siemens.de
Fri Aug 13 06:11:13 PDT 1999

>	The settings in the ADAPTEC BIOS should set the tone for your SCSI
>system and not the driver.  Not only the bus speed but also the bus width
>are very important, among others.  You may have to control some of the SCSI
>issues via the BIOS in order to get your system working properly.  Some
>narrow devices will not work correctly on a wide bus or wide devices when
>used on a narrow bus.  You will then need to disable the width control for
>that device in the SCSI BIOS.  Of course using all new wide device on a new
>ultra-2 controller is the best way to go but it takes $$.  The other SCSI
>BIOS features can be just as usefully.

That's exactly what I did until 2.2.11 : I set my 2 U2W disks at 80Mo/s Wide
Negociation enabled, my Ultra-SCSI CD-ROM at 20/Mo/s Narrow and my Fast-SCSI
CD-writer at 10Mo/s Narrow and it worked perfect, was well recognized by the
driver then.
Since the way the syncrates of the devices seem to be detected in the latest
version has changed (which detects everything OK but the FAST-SCSI device
with the right SCSI BIOS settings ) I wonder if there is not a problem with
U2/U2W adapters since you can use all 3/4 connectors at the same time (that
is not possible with 2940UW adapters). It looks like there would be *two
channels* : one at Ultra2 clock speed and another at the ultra clock speed.
what I'm writing might be nonsense but I was so surprised to see that the
driver didn't get the speeds correctly when the SCSI BIOS was set correctly
that I'm wondering what it could be.
Furthermore, you're right when you're saying that the speed settings in the
SCSI BIOS are important to have the system working properly. I already
experienced this with a friend who couldn't get his CD-writer to write a CD
properly under Windows because the speed rates of the devices were not set
correctly in the SCSI BIOS.