aic7xxx driver update -> probs

Markus Egle egle at ai-lab.fh-furtwangen.de
Fri Apr 9 00:00:51 PDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Doug Ledford wrote:

> I've released the 5.1.14 version of the aic7xxx driver.  This driver
> [...]
> traditionally been a spot of problems in the aic7xxx driver.  If some of
> the people that have drives that initiate negotiation on their own could
> try out this code and report back to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

IBM 9ZX UW and aic7890 onboard

with original 2.2.5:
scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms total
(scsi1:0:2:0) Synchronous at 20Mbyte/sec, offset 15,
(scsi1:0:2:0) Invalid SCB during SEQINT 0x71, scb 13, flags 0x0, cmd0x0.
(scsi1:-1:-1:-1) CMDCMPLT without command SCB 13, SCB flags 0x0, cmd 0x0.
scsi: aborting due to timeout: pid 33, scsi1, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Mode
Sense 00 2a 00 80 00
(scsi1:0:2:0) Aborting scb 14, flags 0x4
(scsi1:0:2:0) SCB disconnected. Queueing Abort SCB.
Kernel panic: aic7xxx: AWAITING_MSG for an SCB that does not have a
waiting message

with patched 2.2.5 (5.1.14):
------------ first test -------------:
(scsi0:0:-1:-1) Reset called, scb 14, flags 0x1076
scsi(0:0:0:0) Aborting scb13
scsi(0:0:0:0) Aborting scb14
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 1, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0, Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00
(scsi0:0:0:0) Aborting scb13, flags0x6
              SCB found on waiting list and aborted
              Aborting scb13
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual adress
00000040
Ooops

------------ second test ------------:
an infinite loop with
Referenced SCB14 not valid during SELTO

------------ third test -------------:
Kernel panic: aic7xxx: AWAITING_MSG for an SCB that does not have a
waiting message

2.0.34 is still working fine.
I'm going to install on the ide device, cause I'm frustrated on copying
the error-messages to paper and copying again into a file.

I'm confused about the different downloading sequencer code:
2.0.34        downloading sequencer code... 413 instructions downloaded
2.2.2         downloading sequencer code... 404 instructions downloaded
2.2.5(5.1.14) downloading sequencer code... 374 instructions downloaded

more information of my system  /proc  error messages
http://users.ai-lab.fh-furtwangen.de/~egle/kernel_probs.html

Regards,
Markus Egle