Red Hat Linux on Dell PowerEdge 2300

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at spray.fi
Tue Sep 29 04:33:34 PDT 1998

Doug Ledford <dledford at dialnet.net> writes:
> > I'm trying to install Red Hat Linux 5.1 on a Dell PowerEdge 2300 (with
> > 1x6 hotplug backplane), but the install image only sees the narrow bus

> If the boot image on ftp.dialnet.net didn't find your 7890, then either the
> 7890 was disabled in the machine's BIOS, or you accidentally booted the old
> image and not the one from ftp.dialnet.net.  There is an easy way to tell,

Yeah, well, I feel pretty stupid now. After first trying the original
Red Hat boot floppy, I had left the CD in, and never noticed the
machine was booting from the CD instead of the updated boot floppy.. ;)

The 2300 is now humming along in Linux, it'll just take me a few days
to verify everything is in order and to move data over, and I'll have
a new server in production. The old machine couldn't handle all the
disks any more. Thanks! ;)

--
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Osma Ahvenlampi <oa at spray.fi>