How to update the aic7xxx driver from a vger kernel?

Randy Gobbel gobbel at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 28 21:25:50 PDT 1998

[Note: the system I'm talking about here is not the one with the dying
disk--that's a PPro, this is a Macintosh G3.]

I just tried to update the aic7xxx driver for my Mac (linux-pmac) using
the 2.1.122-pre12 patch, and it looks like I made a complete mess of
it.  The kernel I'm running is made from sources fetched from vger by
anonymous CVS (stock 2.1.x kernels don't work for PowerPC, still a few
things that haven't been blessed by Linus).  The reason I tried to patch
the driver was that I was seeing symptoms very similar to what I was
getting on my x86 Linux system w/ unpatched 2.1.122: weird garbage
instead of device names, etc.  But: although the patch applied with only
one inconsequential mismatch (a version string), I wind up with a kernel
that won't boot: it gets a sequencer RAM parity error fairly early in
the boot sequence. I've reverted to the vger sources.  I'd like to know
what sequence of patches should work to bring the driver up to date with
pre12.

Thanks,
-Randy