7890 problems

Peter Pointner peter at wuzel.m.isar.de
Wed Sep 23 11:46:37 PDT 1998

Hello,

I just want to share some 7890 experiences, maybe Doug can extract a bit
of information. Our new file server (Asus board with onboard 7890 and an
additional RAID controller from Vortex) gave me this parity error I read
from. The following information is from memory, but should be mostly ok.

- Kernel 2.0.35, no SMP, pre10 aic-driver
- no hard disk connected to 7890 (boots vom raid)
- bootet fine several times with only a cdrom drive connectet to the 7890

Then I added a Sony DAT SDT-7000 and a Tandberg MLR1 to the 7890. It think
it bootet ok again after that, but I am not sure. After one of the next
power cycles I got the continuous parity error. I rechecked the cabling,
tried some more power cycles, nothing helped.

Then I remembered the success story with the FreeBSD boot disk, downloaded
it, booted it, warm booted Linux, and it was ok again. I had to cold boot
the system once more, it showed the parity error again, after FreeBSD and
warm boot it is ok.

Maybe of interest: The Sony DAT has a narrow interface, the Tandberg has a
wide one, but is connected with an adapter to narrow (didn't have the
right cable around). CD is also narrow. That means only narrow devices
connected. Wide negotiation is disabled in the bios for all 3 devices.
IDs: Tandberg 3, Sony 5, CD 6.

I can't do much testing, I'm glad to know a way to make the system run.
But I will try new driver versions.

Peter