Linux: Was reading past end of file fixed?

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Tue Sep 22 19:44:14 PDT 1998

Greg Wickham wrote:

> Good news and bad news.
>
> I ran the above and it worked perfectly (that is no output
> was generated). I upped the loop to 20 times. I ran it once
> in parallel. (And did the hard disk sound like a gieger
> counter at Chernobyl on a hot day :) ). Again, no output.
>
> However it *faulted* as soon as I started to read data from the
> CD rom. When I mean read, I extracted a 600M+ image.

What kernel version are you using?

> Funnying thing (as if this wasn't unfunny enough) was that the
> extracted image was fine. And there were no errors in the system
> log. Just the diff's failed.

Great, buffer cache was corrupted but on disk copies were clean.  That at
least gives a starting point.  Unfortunately, it doesn't give a starting
point in the aic7xxx driver which I could easily fix, it points to the vm or
vfs layers.

> I can repeat this ad-infinitum. :(
>
> Is it my hardware? It is extremely repeatable, but doesn't
> happen as long as I don't use the SCSI cdrom.

OK...if you can, get me the kernel you are using and the exact commands
required to reproduce this problem on your machine.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but