pre10 on a 2940u2w still shows BRKADRINT

Neil Magedman neil at cobaltmoon.com
Thu Sep 17 15:59:06 PDT 1998

I was so hoping, but alas...

I've been running 2.0.35 pre5 and seeing the rapidly looping BRKADRINT
error.
I installed pre10 using the the rpm kernel-* files.  After an initial
hurdle of not having an initrd prepared (the pre5 was monolithic), I ran
into a similar BRKADRINT bug.  Whereas the pre5 would loop with
	Data-Path Ram Parity Error
	PCI Error Detected
	(scsi 0) SEQADDR = 0x50
the pre10 kernel would loop with
	Data-Path Ram Parity Error
	(scsi 0) SEQADDR = 0x17d	[the first time]
	(scsi 0) SEQADDR = 0x1	[subsequent times]

The pre5 looped rapidly and wouldn't let me ctrl-alt-del.  The pre10 pauses
for ~11 seconds between loops and does respond to a ctrl-alt-del.

Note that the pre5 doesn't consistently fail.  If I leave the system turned
off for some time and then start it up, it seems to boot fairly reliably.
The pre10 however never seems to work.

Ideas/Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Has anybody used the rpm
files or are most people compiling from the sources?  Thanks.

regards,
neil