Problems with an AHA-2940 UW (PCI)

Anthony Spataro anthony at spataro.com
Wed Sep 9 19:39:20 PDT 1998

I recently bought an Adaptec 2940 UltraWide adapter and I get the following
messages when I try to boot using a Slackware 3.5, Red Hat or Debian boot
disk (all using the 2.0.34 or 2.0.35 kernel):

>scsi: 1 hosts
>(scsi 0:0:-1:-1) Scanning channel for devices
>SCSI: aborting command du to timeout: pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
>lun0 Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00
>SCSI host 0 abort (pid 1) time out - trying harder
>SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0

This problem appears to be very similar or identical to the problem
reported by Ulrich Hansmair <ulrich at hansmair.m.uunet.de> in an earlier
message to the list, with the exception that earlier in the boot sequence,
I see output saying something along the lines of "Downloading sequencer
code...406 instructions downloaded" followed by "Failed initialization of
WD-7000 card!" I don't know if Ulrich had a similar message.

He suggested I disable SCSI BIOS in the SCSI adapter's setup and try to
boot. I did so and the same error occured. I know very little about SCSI
and I have only one hard drive, so there's no way for me to install Linux
to compile a new kernel or a new version of the aic7xxx driver...in short,
I'm in a jam. I know I'm coming to you without a clue, but I've been
working on this problem for three weeks without progress, so I decided to
break down and ask about it. Thanks in advance for any help.