aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre8-2.0.35.patch.gz

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Wed Sep 9 13:20:09 PDT 1998

Louis Cheung wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I patched RedHat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.35) with
>         aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre8-2.0.35.patch.gz
> last night.
> Everything complied all right, but when I reboot with
> the new kernel. I got this error message:

> /lib/aic7xxx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
>         /lib/aic7xxx.o was complied for kernel version 2.0.34
>         while this kernel is version 2.0.35
>
> But wasn't it said "pre8-2.0.35" ?
>
> What should I do to make aic7xxx work with 2.0.35 kernel ?

The RedHat OS is loading a module from the /boot/initrd file.  You need to
make a new initrd file in order to correct this problem.  If you have
already done the "make modules" and "make modules_install" steps in the
kernel source directory, then you should be able to simply do something
like:

mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd 2.0.35

to make the new initrd image.  Then just re-run lilo and boot into the new
driver.  Be sure to save the old initrd image and kernel, and make entries
for the old kernel in the lilo.conf just in case something doesn't work
right.  Eg,

cd /boot
cp vmlinuz-2.0.34 vmlinuz.rescue
cp initrd initrd.rescue
cd /etc
vi lilo.conf
  add a section for the vmlinuz.rescue kernel with an initrd= line
  that points to the saved initrd file
lilo

That should do the trick.

--