lilo: "not the first disk"

Chris Bondy temp at quad.quadrunner.com
Tue Sep 8 22:24:44 PDT 1998

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Harvey Fishman wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Jim Thompson wrote:
>
> LILO puts the boot record in the place pointed to by the line that you
> (should) have in /etc/lilo.conf that says "boot = /dev/sda".  It depends
> upon external software (i.e. the planar BIOS) to transfer control to the
>
> I have been getting the message "Warning: /dev/sdb1 is not on the first
> disk." for the last three and a half years since I started using Linux
> because Linux is on my second SCSI drive.  I very recently added a
> ___LARGE___ ATA drive to act a a CD-ROM cache under NT, which is my primary
> O/S.  All my data disks for both NT and Linux are SCSI.  I had not
> installed a new version of Linux since I had added the ATA drive, so I just
> built 2.1.120 and tried the installation.  I got that same message as
> always, but everything works fine.  Don't worry about the message; it is
> right but you are misinterpreting it as a problem while it is only an
> informational thingie.

Uh, thats not true.

boot=/dev/sda
#root=/dev/sda2
#compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
#delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
         label=linux
         root=/dev/sda2
         read-only

10 scsi 3940UW , 4 ide,  IF I make a new kernel, I must UNPLUG the ide's,
before type lilo, else the system will not boot, hangs at LI
this LILO problem, not bios, I've ran this with 386 to current pent-pro200
different bios's. My ide's aren't even listed in the bios, cause linux
doesn't need them, it auto detects. I've rewritting lilo at different
times in the past, fix this bug/design flaw, usually just screwed it up
more. One day when a good programmer comes along with multi system, this
should be easy to fix for them.