AHA2842 and Debian 2.0 kernal problems

Jerry E. McGoveran jerry at certus.com
Mon Sep 7 21:29:11 PDT 1998

At 11:09 PM 9/7/98 -0500, Andy Kennedy wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:
>
>> I'm having no luck at all installing the Debian 2.0 Linux distribution
>> on my 486 PC.  The system is 100% SCSI.  I've removed all extra cards
>> except for the serial/floppy controller and the video card so I don't
>> believe there are any conflicts.  I've also disconnected all SCSI
>> devices except the boot drive.
>
>I had a similar problem once before.  I had serious confilcts with CUA0
>and CUA1.  Because of the CRAPPY Award BIOS that I was using, I was unable
>to run the 2940UW on that board without doing some real major overhauling
>(rebuilt the flash BIOS).
>
>Is the 2842 a PNP card?  If it is, you might want to try to disable all
>the ports on your board and make sure that your floppy is _NOT_ in
>conflict with whatever the PNP on your board is trying to setup your
>card as.

My MB has AMI BIOS vintage 1994.  And the floppy controller on the SCSI
card is disabled.  I don't think it's PNP since that was a Win95 era
phenom, and the AHA284x and VLB predates it.

I figure either there are some settings in the scsi BIOS that need to be
changed, or I need a boot param and/or new kernal.  So far, I've been
unable to find any documentation that would help.

-Jerry