AHA2842 and Debian 2.0 kernal problems

Jerry E. McGoveran jerry at certus.com
Mon Sep 7 15:45:37 PDT 1998

I'm having no luck at all installing the Debian 2.0 Linux distribution
on my 486 PC.  The system is 100% SCSI.  I've removed all extra cards
except for the serial/floppy controller and the video card so I don't
believe there are any conflicts.  I've also disconnected all SCSI
devices except the boot drive.

The boot/installation gets into a loop with the following error messages:

(scsi0) BRKADRINT error (0x1):
	Illegal Host Access
(scsi0) Line=0
(scsi0) BRKADRINT error (0x1):
	Illegal Host Access
(scsi0) Line=1

Whatever happens before this is a mystery, since there is no log file
preserved after I reset the machine and the text scrolls by too fast
for me to read it.  I thought I spotted something about a loop detected
in the deselection list, but I can't be sure.

I'm using the default boot floopy that comes with Debian 2.0 and using the
boot param "linux aic7xxx=no_reset" as recommended for this card by the
Debian help menus.

I've posted this question on the Usenet groups, in #debian on IRC, and the
debian-users mailing list and none of the suggestions have gotten me anywhere
yet.  What am I missing?  Can someone please help me end 3 weeks of utter
frustration?

Thanks,

Jerry