Question on MMAPIO ...

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Tue Sep 1 21:39:01 PDT 1998

Patrick Mau wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 05:10:57AM +0200, Patrick Mau wrote:
> >
> > Dear Adaptec Users,
> >
> > I have a question regarding memory-mapped I/O with linux.
> > I'm using a pretty old AHA3940 PCI Dual Channel PCI controller and
> > ever since MMAPIO is defined in this driver I have to undefine it.
>
> I'm sorry to reply to my own post, but did someone even read it ;-)
> I promise I'll stop wasting bandwidth, but please let me know my posts
> do show up on the list ...

I read it but hadn't responded yet.  To be honest, when there are problems
with MMAPed I/O on a system, 9 out of 10 times it relates back to a PCI BIOS
bug or some such thing with overlapping MMAP I/O addresses.  As one user
found out, rearranging the order of cards in PCI slots and resetting the PCI
BIOS information in your motherboard's configuration will sometimes fix the
problem.  Other times, BIOS upgrades on the motherboard have fixed the
problem.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but