Adaptec hang on SMP motherboard

Tom Daley tdaley at plc.com
Tue Oct 27 06:40:51 PST 1998

     I converted the BSD Adaptec driver to work on another OS here
at work.  I have one problem that is still nagging me and was wondering
if anyone here had any insights.

     The driver works great on many systems.  I have even changed it
to work on PowerPC (after swapping some bytes around).

     The problem I see is that the driver hangs only on Dual Processor
motherboards that have one processor installed.  I don't have any
with both processors installed because our product does not support
it yet.  The problem happens on Pentium Pro and Pentium II SMP
motherboards.

     I have tried the driver with opennings set to 1 (one command
at a time) and in polling mode (no interrupts) which only submits
one command at a time as well.  I have also added debugging info
that is written directly to video memory and cannot see anything
bad with commands being sent to the controller.

     The driver runs for a few seconds then the drive light stays on
(perhaps a SCSI bus hang) for a while and the command(s) timeout.

     Is there somthing about a Dual Processor motherboard (with
only one processor installed) that could cause a problem like this?

|         o    Tom Daley                                          |
|   ___ </v    Woodland Park, CO                                  |
|  ___  -\     tdaley at plc.com                                     |
| ___    /                                    (719) 534-0449  x27 |
|       (*)    Linux!                                             |