AIC and AIT tape drives

Derek L. Seaman dseaman at nosc.mil
Mon Oct 26 19:11:09 PST 1998

I'm running Red hat Linux 5.1 with the 2.0.35 kernel on a system with a
2940AU card. I connected a Seagate AIT-1 tape drive and could not read nor
write to the drive. I got an i/o with any operation (rewind, ff, read,
write).

I did a mt -f /dev/st0 status and it showed the 'door open' even though a
tape was inserted and the drive was ready. I connected the tape to a NT
box, loaded the drivers, and did a full backup to the unit. So I know the
drive/tape is good.

Is this a known problem with AIT tape drives?