Handshake Linux-2.1.125/AIC-7880/Quantum 80213961

Andreas Heilwagen hostmaster at netguru.org
Sun Oct 11 04:57:56 PDT 1998

Hello,

the handshake with the soft-/hardware mentioned above makes
some problems with the current kernel. Linux kernel 2.1.117ac2
works correctly and some other kernel between them might be ok too.

I use a simple AH-294x and an onboard AIC-7880 on a Gigabyte
board. After doing the correct device detection on the AH-294x,
the first few devices on the AIC-7880 are detected correctly.
But one special disk makes problems. The Quantum 80213961 seems
to be build for SUN Storage hardware and has an interface which
looks (really _only_ looks) like a wide interface. My dealer
gave me an adapter to use that disk on a narrow bus. Until
now (2.1.125) it was always used with 10M/sec, but now the
drivers tries a 20M/sec handshake and gets a parity error during
the command phase. It even cannot use the disk after "trying a
harder SCSI bus reset".
The maximum transmission speed in the controller bios is limited
to 10M/sec and I found no parameter to tell the driver to
use only 10M/sec.

The system was stable during the last months and reboots were
only needed to load newer kernel versions.

Since this problem is new, I hope that you can give me tip
because I would really like to use a newer kernel .)

Thank you,
   Andreas Heilwagen.