pre15 woes w. both 68pin & 50pin

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Tue Oct 6 14:32:41 PDT 1998

> > 4 Seagate ST-15230W hard drives (68 pin)
> > (and, in the following physical order)
> > Yahama 4260t series CDRW (50 pin), internal
> > Python Dat tape drive (scsi II), external
> > HP scanner detected as a C2520A (w. 1 centronics & 1 ugly 25pin D connector)
> > Epson zip drive, external (Iomega licensed knock off w. 25pin D
> > connectors & internal termination on)
> >

> Have you tried removing the "cheezy" 25pin SCSI devices from the chain?
> Also, how long is that chain?  I had problems when I had wide and narrow
> devices on a BusLogic 958 card 'cause my SCSI chain was something like
> 15 feet long.
>
> Also, removing that ZIP drive with its stupid 25pin SCSI made a big
> difference.  I now run it on a 2842 (VL) with some other narrow
> external devices (and no internal devices), and it seems to work okay,
> but it works even better when it's on its own cheap ISA controller.
> Leonard Z had said several times that these "cheap 25pin SCSI interfaces"
> can wreak havoc on a "real SCSI" chain.
>
> Brendan Miller

You also got to ask how the heck all this stuff is connected.  You've
got internal wide devices, internal narrow devices, and external
narrow devices.  I *hope* all three connectors of the controller
are *not* being used!

And if they aren't, then there must be at least 2 adapters involved.
And how is the high byte being terminated on the 68-pin -> 50-pin
adapter(s).

DE