Problems with aic7880 (AGAIN)

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Sat Mar 28 17:16:56 PST 1998

Andreadakis Manolis wrote:

> Hello again, the problem with my aic7880 continues to torture me...
> Here is the output of my boot sequence:
>
> (scsi0) ?Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter? found at PCI 10/0
> (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
> (***)(scsi0) BIOS disabled, IO Port 0xf800, IO Mem 0xfecff000, IRQ 11
> (scsi0) Resetting channel
> (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 418 instructions downloaded
> scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.0.0/3.2.2
>        ?Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter?
> scsi : 1 host.
> (scsi0:0:-1:-1) Scanning channel for devices.
> (scsi0:0:0:0) Using wide (16 bit) transfers.
> (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
>   Vendor: HP        Model: 4.26GB B 68-0854  Rev: 0854
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> (scsi0:0:1:0) Using wide (16 bit) transfers.
> (scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
>   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST34572W          Rev: 0784
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> scsi : detected 2 SCSI disks total.
> SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8330543 [4067 MB] [4.1
> GB]
> SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8888924 [4340 MB] [4.3
> GB]
>
> Both disks are wide and on the same cable and there is a termitator at
> the end of it.
> I cannot mkefs the second disk, when i try it, somewhere in the middle
> of the
> whole process i get messages about timeout's and bus resets.
>
> Could anyone tell me about the correct jumper positions on the disks,
> this is the one think
> i suspect, the other is the message above that the BIOS is disabled. Is
> this
> normal, considering that in the SCSI utility at boot, the BIOS Enable
> option is set to on?

It's normal only if your motherboard doesn't use a SEEPROM to store the BIOS
settings.  In that case, we have to psuedo guess at some settings (we pick
them up as left over BIOS values instead of reading them directly from the
SEEPROM).

> I have checked the cable so that it doesnt make any twists, and the two
> disks, as far as
> i could figure out dont terminate them selves the bus.

I would run the EZ-SCSI BIOS routine at startup (the CTRL-A message) and
then select the SCSI Disk Utilities, then select Verify Media on the second
hard disk.  If it doesn't pass this, then the disk needs a low level format
to clear out bad sectors and that would be the most likely cause of your
problems.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but