external SCSI disk problems

Mike Bilow mikebw at bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net
Tue Mar 24 03:07:13 PST 1998

John Eichelsdorfer wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 JE> Forgot to mention that when I attempt to install Linux 5.0
 JE> using system commander in MBR and Linux in First partition
 JE> of second hard drive, that the Linux loads.  The problem
 JE> occurs when rebooting that the partitions are increased by
 JE> an ID count of 10 (hidden) and can't boot with System
 JE> Commander into the partition.  Hoping there is something
 JE> related between these two problems.

 JE> I am not quite as learned on 2940 as many here, but would
 JE> appreciate any help.

Your SCSI controller is not editing your partition tables.

Some operating systems do not support having more than one primary partition
visible at a time.  In such cases, IBM's OS/2 Boot Manager established the
practice of marking all but one primary partition as "hidden" by increasing the
type field of a DOS-format partitions by 10.  Other boot utilities, such as
System Commander, understand this same protocol.

If you use System Commander, you cannot install Lilo into the MBR.  If you want
to use Lilo as your boot manager instead of System Commander, read the Lilo
HOWTO document.  You cannot use both System Commander and Lilo without a
certain amount of very careful configuration.

-- Mike