AIC7895 Adding a Disk

Dave Records drecords at iserv.net
Mon Mar 23 07:12:52 PST 1998

I am running kernel 2.0.33 and aic7xxx 5.02 on a Tyan Thunder with an
onboard AIC7895 Controller.  Everything is working fine with a cdrom and
4GB Dat on channel A (narrow) and a Micropolis UW on channel B.
However, I want to add a narrow HD to channel A.  I've set up the SCSI
BIos to scan and boot on B, which it does, but the kernel seems to try
to switch the root partition to the Channel A drive after remounting the
partition, and can't find a usable Console device and hangs.  The drive
ID on channel A is 2, and 0 for the drive on channel B.  I've tried
telling it to set the root partition to the partition on the Chan B
drive, but is fails to mount the drive then and gives me bad partition
messages.  This disk I'm trying to add was previously a bootable disk
with a 1542 controller in it, so has a valid root partition on it.

Anybody have any ideas as to how to mount this disk as a second drive
without the hassle I've experienced, or  point me to some reading
material regarding this?  I've searched on the net and reviewed the
HOWTO's and FAQ's.

TIA

Dave Records
Emerald Database Innovations, Inc.