JAZ drives on Adaptec 2940s

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 13 07:56:28 PST 1998

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Paul Joselow wrote:

> Dear Group:
>
> I am thinking of getting a SCSI IOmega JAZ drive for a Linux box with an
> Adaptec 2940.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yeah; it works fine.  Two remarks:  If you have it in your fstab (as
/dev/sdb1, for example) you will need to have an appropriately formatted
cartridge in it at boot time.  If you choose not to have it there, you
will need to use root a fair amount or otherwise arrange to permit
non-root persons to mount a real filesystem (something that could be a
potential security problem at some sites, although others may not care).
I'm sure the latter can be handled, but it is something you may need to
think about and work out.  Mine is on my home-business machine and I
just leave an ext2 disk in it all the time, unless I'm doing something
that requires a swap in which case I use root to umount and remount it.

Oh, and VERY RARELY there can be timing problems -- it takes a
comparatively long time to spin up a disk when you insert it, and you
have to be careful not to issue commands that might try to access it
when it is still in transition.

  rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu