lookups with 2.1.8x

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Wed Mar 11 09:33:28 PST 1998

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Regarding the 2.1.X lockup when scanning the onboard 2940 on a P6DLS:
>
> I have a bit more data for anyone listening (possibly Doug Ledford?).

I'm here and listening, I'm just swamped at the moment with regular DialNet
work.  Considering the size of our ISP is likely to close to double in the
next few months as we hit four more cities, I'm very busy getting new
systems, new Ciscos, new portmasters, new everything else, and tons of other
changes done as well as answering a lot of email from customers about other
things.

> (scsi0:0:0:0) Using wide (16 bit) transfers.
> (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
>   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST19101W          Rev: 0014
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> (scsi0:0:1:0) Using wide (16 bit) transfers.
> (scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
>   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST34371W          Rev: 0338
>
> generated in aic7xxx_parse_msg() called (I believe) from
> aic7xxx_handle_scsiint(), I expected to get some response from the

aic7xxx_parse_msg() is called from aic7xxx_handle_reqinit() which is called
from aic7xxx_handle_scsiint() which is called from aic7xxx_isr() which is
called by the core kernel code when we get an interrupt.  The general
situation you are running into is a problem with the I/O APIC code in 2.1.85
and above with your motherboard.  It's failing to get the interrupts to our
interrupt handler so we never finish things up.  Try disabling the I/O APIC
code and also get in touch with Ingo Molnar about the problem and see if it
can get worked out.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but