No subject

Derek Seaman dseaman at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Mar 4 14:26:36 PST 1998

Here is my setup:

1 ST34572N rec 0876 on the internal SCSI bus
1 Plextor ultra SCSI CD-ROM on the internal bus
4 HP C1599A 4mm DAT drives on the external bus
1 ST34752N in a Kingston carrier on the external bus

Linux 2.0.33 w/ latest AIC drivers, and 2.1.87 w/ standard AIC drivers.

When I format and mount the external 4GB drive everything is fine. But when
I read a dd image from the external HD to a single HP drive I get, under
2.0.33:

AIC7xxx unknown REQINIT message type
KERNEL PANIC

Using 2.0.87 I get a HUGE string of parity errors, and other weird messages.

The cables are high quality Granite Digital teflon, and a GD active
terminator. All external cables are teflon. I can read images off the
internal HD all day long with no problems. These symtoms have happened with
4 different external drives, all with the same errors.

Slowing the bus down, turning off ultra SCSI, etc. still does not resolve
the problem.

Any suggestions?

Derek L. Seaman, Engineer
SPAWAR System Center, San Diego