aic7xxx/kernel version mismatch

Togath togath at swcp.com
Wed Mar 4 12:42:11 PST 1998

Hello, again,

Many thanks for the helpful (and quick!) responses to my
predicament.

The initrd image was indeed "at the back of my mind" as perhaps
being the problem, but that "kernel mismatch" message threw me
into focusing on the module and the kernel build process (and the
accompanying dead end).

Thanks especially to Doug Ledford for taking the time to specify
the options to mkinitrd which enabled me to fix the problem even
more quickly with a quick cut & paste (although I did take time
to familiarize myself with the man page... and re: Doug's comment
about "think about it...it makes sense", it sure does!  Thanks to
you and all who pointed me in that direction.

Regarding "rescue" options, I had that covered, thanks (that's
how I was able to get online to ask).

Lastly, I agree with Harald about hating to rely on initrd to
load the scsi module which is resident full-time anyway.  Prior
to using RedHat, I never used modules, particularly for the scsi
driver, but since that's their default initial config and I'm
just lazy enough (not really...  BUSY enough!) not to take time
to correct that (I tried once, but then it tried to load the
module anyway because of initrd and my unfamiliarity with it.
Guess I know enough now, but it works now and as they say...  If
it ain't broke!).

Thanks again for all the timely responses!  :-)

--
Togath (togath at swcp.com)