aic7880 problem talking to CD-R

Michael Poole poole+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 3 19:22:32 PST 1998

> Try going into the Adaptec SCSI BIOS (the CTRL-A message at bootup) and
> disabling wide negotiation on the CD-R.  It seems like the CD-R firmware
> might be getting confused after we attempt to negotiate for wide transfers.

	I got it to work by disabling wide negotiation on the CD-R,
turning the max synchronous data speed to 10 Mbps (from the 20 Mbps
default), and disabling "Ultra speed negotiation" on the entire
controller.  Neither of the last two alone seemed enough to solve the
problem, but both together seem to be working fine with no adverse effects
on the other devices on the bus.

	Thanks for everyones' advice.

-- Michael