CD Writer works only when boot drive is IDE, why?

John Park park at hal9000.ul.bawue.de
Fri Jun 26 10:29:36 PDT 1998

Hi,

I have an Adaptec 2940UW running under Linux 2.0.34 with version 5.0.19 of the
aic7xxx driver. I installed Linux on the IDE drive originally but subsequently
on  my SCSI drives.  The systems are nearly identical (I reinstalled everything)
with the obvious exception of fstab, etc., but when I try to write a CD, it
inevitably fails (scsi getcmd or some such error) if I boot with sda1 as root,
and sda2 as usr, etc. Otherwise, everything (including reading CDs from the
drive) works. Booting with hda1 as root (and hda2 as usr, etc.) never fails. In
both cases, the CD image is on sdb3 (!), so, in principle, writing from one scsi
drive to another works. I did everything suggested in the xcdroast docs
(reducing transfer rate, write rate, etc.) to no avail.

Any ideas?

jp
--
park at hal9000.ul.bawue.de John Park