Controling transfer rate of SCSI for Peregrine Tape drive...

Peter VanVleet pvv at cs.washington.edu
Wed Jun 24 10:55:19 PDT 1998

	I have an Adaptec 7880 chipset, and a Seagate Peregrine Tape drive.
 I'm running Red Hat Linux 5.0, with kernel 2.0.32. When writing larger files
 to the tape (i.e. backups) the system often hangs. It seems especially
 sensitive to other activity on the system.

	I've been doing a lot of surfing and reading and the Seagate
 Web page suggested that I set the transfer rate to < 5MB/s.
 In the SCSISelect Utility, I can only seem to set the transfer rate down
 from 40 MB/s to 20 MB/s. I presume that this is going from 16-bit to 8-bit?

	My real concern is getting the tape drive to work, so any suggestions
 along that line would be appreciated.

	My direct question is how does one adjust the transfer rate of
 various devices on a SCSI system. Do I need to update my BIOS? Is there
 a config file somewhere? Do I need to recompile the driver/kernel, etc.

	I haven't subscribed to this mailing list so please Cc me on your
 replies. Also, please be as explicit as possible in any suggestions. While
 I'm a cs grad student, I'm relatively new to Linux and setting up your own
 system, etc.

	Thanks,

	Peter