Adaptec 3985 under Linux

Shane Anderson shane at home.infrasol.com
Sun Jun 21 16:19:31 PDT 1998

Howdy folks...  I've been happily running v5.0.8/3.2.2 on Linux v2.0.33
for months.  I just rebooted after 37 days w/o error to upgrade to
v2.0.34.  It didn't work.  I get bad SCB errors and I think I recall a
parity error of some sort.  I'd seen this before so I updated to the
latest driver v5.0.19/3.2.?? and ran verbose and got more bad SCB errors,
but it did actually start booting.  Then it'd lock the machine up
solid--even to the point where the reset button wasn't enough--I had to
turn power off, then back on.  Well, the upshot here is that I'm running
back w/ v2.0.33 and aic7xxx v5.0.8 happily but I'd like to understand why
it doesn't work with the newer version.  Here's my config:

Pentium 200
FIC-2007 (VIA Apollo 2 chipset)
128MB EDO
Adaptec 3985
 9GB Micropolis 1991
 9GB Micropolis 3387
 540MB Seagate/HP ??
 Achive Python SCSI DAT Tape drive
 Sony 926 CDR

The SCSI devices are split across all three controllers (1 HD per) and the
tape drive and CDR are w/ one of the 9GB drives.

Well, I'll keep trying things when I can, but this is a server machine for
20+ people.  *SIGH*  Hopefully someone out there has had experience with
this or has some ideas.   Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I'm not subscribed here so please e-mail directly as well, thanks.