Which driver update to use?

Kenneth Crudup kenny at panix.com
Tue Jun 9 15:01:50 PDT 1998

  I couldn't find an appropriate patch at all when I did this last weekend.
  Since 2.0.34 seems to include the 5.0.14 driver, just using the patch
  against 2.0.33 wasn't likely to work (since 2.0.33 includes a far older
  driver).  I didn't want to use the 5.0.14 driver either since previous
  experience with it for me was complete breakage (system wouldn't even
  boot).  So here's what I did:  I grabbed the full distributions for both
  5.0.14 and 5.0.18 drivers and expanded them on my system.  Then I used
  diff to compute a relative patch between those two versions and I applied
  THAT against a vanilla 2.0.34 Linux source tree.  The patch applied
  perfectly, everything compiled beautifully, and the system has remained
  stable with this new kernel ever since.

Why not just overlay the 5.0.18 drivers' files into the 2.0.34 kernel space?

(I don't know if this is possible, just if you'd considered that option, and
if so, what happened).

	-Kenny