3940 questions..

Srinivas.Narendula at libnet.com Srinivas.Narendula at libnet.com
Fri Jun 5 06:06:29 PDT 1998

Vincent Cojot wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
>         I have been a bit disconnected from the computer hardware world
> for the past year or so but I'm planning to upgrade a SCSI card and I
have
> a couple questions:
>
>         - Are the new 3940UW's (UW not U2W) well supported under Linux
> (2.0.3x for now)?

Yep.

>         - What's the difference between the 3940AUW and the 3940UW? Both
> are listed by Merisel but only the 3940UW appears on Adaptec's site.

The 3940AUW cards are based on a single aic7895 chipset instead of a DEC
bridge chip and two 7880P chipsets.  They happen to have a few nice
features and more on chip SCB RAM, so I generally would prefer the AUW
models.  This is, of course, exactly the opposite of a 2940AU card, which
is less of a card so to speak than a regular 2940UW card is.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but

NOTE: I'm just now starting to recover from the Linux-Expo.  Most
      importantly, I'm just now getting around to answering a lot
      of my email.  So, if your message has lain around un-answered
      for many days, I apologize.