SCSI Timeout with Adaptec 2940UW Rev. E (Bios 1.32)

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at narnia.plutotech.com
Thu Jun 4 13:49:23 PDT 1998

In article <35757668.1ED486E9 at scdi.org> you wrote:
>> Try the 5.0.18 aic7xxx driver and let me know if this still happens.  There
>> are negotiation fixes in there that might make a difference, [...]
>
> I will try this as fast as possible ;-)
>
> In the meantime, I found a way to stop the timeouts occure. I just
> disabled the "Enable Disconnect" on all the ids in the Bios options, as
> descriebed in a FAQ on the Adaptec Web site. Now I am able to install
> Linux and to use it.

Then the newer driver will not help you.  I can reproduce this problem
here as well, and it appears that the data fifo on the aic7880 gets fauled
up when the target decides to disconnect with just the right amount of
data sitting in the fifo.  I'm still working the issue, but no guarantee
of when I'll have a solution.  This seems to only occur with Rev B. aic7880
silicon.

--
Justin