SCSI Timeout with Adaptec 2940UW Rev. E (Bios 1.32)

Gerard Metrailler Jr. gmetrail at scdi.org
Wed Jun 3 09:15:13 PDT 1998

First of all, thank you for helping.

Doug Ledford wrote:

> > Here is my problem. I was using a Adaptec 2940 (Bios 1.16) until
> > recently and ervery thing was perfect. But I just changed for an Adaptec
> > 2940UW Rev. E (Bios 1.32) lately when I bought a Quantum 4.5Gb UW Viking
> > disk. Since then, I get SCSI Timeouts when I make a big access under
> > Linux.
>
> Try the 5.0.18 aic7xxx driver and let me know if this still happens.  There
> are negotiation fixes in there that might make a difference, [...]

I will try this as fast as possible ;-)

In the meantime, I found a way to stop the timeouts occure. I just
disabled the "Enable Disconnect" on all the ids in the Bios options, as
descriebed in a FAQ on the Adaptec Web site. Now I am able to install
Linux and to use it.

But I will make the "dd if=/dev/zero of=test" test with the new drivers
to see if it helps.

Best regards,

Gerard Metrailler Jr.

  SCDI Technologies  - Gerard Metrailler Jr. (Founder And President)
                     - EMail: gmetrail at scdi.org
 http://www.scdi.org - http://www.scdi.org/~gmetrail