hanging 2940-AU: good points but still need help!

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Thu Jul 30 01:06:44 PDT 1998

Frederic Baumann wrote:

> Thank you a lot for your answer, which finally points out the origin
> of all my 15-day problems nearly leading me to jump over the window :) !!!
>
> OK for the address conflict. In fact, I had seen that, but since it
> was working without the SCSI board, I thought it was a normal thing,
> while curious.
>
> What do you mean by this Win-NT / XFree86 comparison ? Do you mean I
> can change the setting of the video board address through NT ?

No, I mean the video card driver in NT is detecting the overlap itself and
automatically remapping the address when it starts up.

> Brian Ristuccia speaks about a "pcitune" utility. After a tour in the
> web, I could not find any real reference about that. Where can I find
> this tool ? is it a DOS, Windows or Linux tool ?

That I can't answer :)  The problem is, with that solution, the pcitune
utility is going to need to be ran at each and every boot.  One thing that
might work is to swap locations between the video card and the aic7xxx card
(aka, make which ever card is later in the PCI slots you have come earlier,
and the earlier one be later), then in you computer's BIOS setup, go into
the PCI configuration and tell the BIOS to reset the PCI configuration
data.  After doing these two things and rebooting, check the /proc/pci
file.  Depending on how smart your motherboard BIOS is, the overlap problems
may end up disappearing.

> And finally, how can I change this f.....g video board address ?

Look above :)

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but