(Partial) Success report: AIC7890

Patrick W. Bryant daspwb at Queequeg.Gsu.EDU
Fri Jul 24 06:11:41 PDT 1998

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, George Vicherek wrote:
> This is to report flawless operation of AIC7890 on ASUS-P2B-LS
> motherboard with Fujitsu MAB3091 U2W drive with pre-5 on 2.1.109 kernel.

Wow: I disabled the BIOS for my aic7890 and voila! The machine boots and I
can mount the drive that's on it. I'm using 2.0.35 (BTW, thanks for all
the responses on obtaining the kernel source) with aic7xxx pre5, plus the
change Doug recommended the other day . . .

  "enableSE_high = enableSE_low = enableLVD_high = enableLVD_low = TRUE;"

. . . which didn't make any difference when I tried it yesterday.

My machine is a Dell 410 Workstation SMP.

The only problem now (so far) is, the drive is *really* noisy -- it's just
buzzing away under my desk and driving me up the wall.

Here's the stuff from proc in case it's useful:

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.1.0pre5/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Adapter Support Enabled
                             Check below to see which
                             devices use tagged queueing
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled (This is no longer an option)
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Disabled

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter
                           Ultra2-SE Wide Controller
    PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xf9fff000
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Disabled
                    IRQ: 10
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 1,
                         Allocated 30, HW 32, Page 255
             Interrupts: 90
      BIOS Control Word: 0x18a2
   Adapter Control Word: 0x1c5c
   Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff
     Ultra Enable Flags: 0x0000
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 1:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 1:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

Statistics:
(scsi1:0:0:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at