hanging with a 2940AU

Frederic Baumann baumann at ilog.fr
Fri Jul 24 00:35:40 PDT 1998

This is my first post to this mailing list.

I've just bought a Nikon CoolScan II scanner, and a SCSI board to plug
it in my PC. I've tried both a Tekram DC390U, and now an Adaptec
2940AU.

The Tekram works, but only before I start XFree86 (using a PCI video
board STB Velocity 3D) !!

For the 2940AU, I've tried with two versions of software :

* Linux 2.0.32 (driver aic7xxx)
* Linux 2.0.35 patched for driver aic7xxx version 5.1.0pre5.

The results are worst than with the Tekram: with 2.0.32, I get an
infinite loop of reset/abort SCSI messages. With 2.0.35 I get the
following (and then the kernel is stuck) :

command : insmod aic7xxx aic7xxx='verbose:0x1FFFF'

(this text has been copied by hand, so there may be some
differences with the original output, regarding the spaces)

===============cut here=================
aic7xxx: <Adapter AHA 2940A Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 13/0
aic7xxx: initial PCI_COMMAND value was 0x117
aic7xxx: initial DEVCONFIG value was 0x1100
scsi0: Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.0pre5/3.2.4
      <Adaptec AHA2940A Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) time out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) time out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) time out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
Too many lost scbs
Too many lost scbs
Bogus parameters found in card SCB array structures.
While sending commands to QINFIFO
aic7xxx driver version 5.1.0pre5/2.0.35
Controller type:
  Adapter AHA-2940A Ultra SCSI host adapter
p->flags = 0x104401
chip=0x403
features=0x101
sequencer isn't paused
SIMODE0 = 0x0
SIMODE1 = 0xa4
SSTAT0 = 0x4
SSTAT1 = 0x0
INTSTAT = 0x0
SCSISIGI = 0x0
SXFRCTL0 = 0x80
SXFRCTL1 = 0x27
SCSISEQ = 0x12
SEQCTL = 0x10
SCSIRATE = 0x0
SEQADDR = 0x8
LASTPHASE = P_DATAOUT
QINFIFO: (TAG)29
CURRENT_SCB: (SCBPTR/TAG/CONTROL) 2/255/0x0)
WAITING_SCB: (SCBPTR/TAG/CONTROL) 255->
DISCONNECTED_SCB: (SCBPTR/TAG/CONTROL) 255
FREE_SCB: (SCBPTR/TAG/CONTROL) 255->
SCBPTR CONTROL TAG PREV NEXT
0        00    ff  ff   01
1        00    ff  00   02
2        00    ff  01   ff
Tag29: flags=0x4 control=0x40 TCL=0x0, Sent

Both cards and scanner work perfectly under NT 4.0 with the
appropriate drivers.
I've tried several combination of settings for the main board BIOS as
well as for the SCSI cards BIOS, but when it changes something, it is
worst!!

Please help me (I am browsing Dejanews, the web, reading READMEs etc
for a week yet) !!!!

Thank you a lot for your help
Frederic