Dell 410 Workstations and Asus Motherboard systems

Michael Kunze mkunze at ivw.de
Thu Jul 23 05:55:03 PDT 1998

Juergen Hammelmann wrote:

> On a look at our motherboard, asus p2b-ls/350, I can find an
> aic7890ab chip and an aic3860q chip, there are two ultrawide-connectors,
> one is connected with the harddisc, an ultra2wide ibm,
> and one 50-pin connector for narrow devices.
>
> [...]
> aic7xxx: <Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> at PCI 6/0
> aic7xxx: Initial PCI_COMMAND value was 0x17
> aic7xxx: Initial DEVCONFIG value was 0x540
> aic7xxx: Loading serial EEPROM...done
> aic7xxx: EEPROM is present.

Oops..i notice some differences here with my P2B-LS-400. For me, the last line
reads:

aic7xxx: EEPROM is not present.

> aic7xxx: SE High byte termination Enabled
> aic7xxx: SE Low byte termination Enabled

...this shows up

> aic7xxx: LVD Low byte termination Enabled
> aic7xxx: LVD High byte termination Enabled

...but this doesn't. Nevertheless, i HAVE enabled termination within the
Adaptec BIOS and as an active terminator on the Ultra2 cable. Smells of a
timing problem, doesn't it?

Greetings
Michael