2.0.35 and aic7xxx

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jul 21 06:54:20 PDT 1998

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> Here's my version of this routine.  Note that you must keep FAILDIS
> enabled until after you have reset the sequencer address.  Otherwise
> the sequencer will test the parity of the next instruction which will
> invariably fail.
>
>         ahc_outb(ahc, SEQCTL, PERRORDIS|FAILDIS|FASTMODE|LOADRAM);
>         ahc_outb(ahc, SEQADDR0, 0);
>         ahc_outb(ahc, SEQADDR1, 0);
>
>         for (i = 0; i < sizeof(seqprog)/4; i++) {
>                 if (ahc_check_patch(ahc, &cur_patch, i, &skip_addr) == 0) {
>                         /*
>                          * Don't download this instruction as it
>                          * is in a patch that was removed.
>                          */
>                         continue;
>                 }
>                 ahc_download_instr(ahc, i, download_consts);
>                 downloaded++;
>         }
>         ahc_outb(ahc, SEQCTL, PERRORDIS|FAILDIS|FASTMODE);
>         ahc_outb(ahc, SEQADDR0, 0);
>         ahc_outb(ahc, SEQADDR1, 0);
>         unpause_sequencer(ahc, /*always*/TRUE);
>
> It looks like the FASTMODE|FASTMODE bug existed for both the outb
> before and after download.

Thanks, I was working from aic7xxx.c.cam (980520 stable, I think).  I
didn't check the prolog outb's because my (totally blind, recall)
printk debugging didn't show a problem there; in pre4, at least, it
appears to already have been corrected.

To the rest of the linux list:  Doug has gone on to bed for some well
deserved rest and I have some chores to do this morning, but I am VERY
motivated to get this driver working (my desktop is being whammed as
an NFS server for dual PII's working HARD until I can install on their
local disks, and I've got 16 Intel-grant dual PII's to bring up
ASAP).  So I'll see what I can do this afternoon.  Since my approach
to debugging is necessarily fairly blind (no documentation but
Justin's functional-but-different driver) and armed with an axe
(printk everything) I'm not optimistic about making progress, but I'll
try.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu