aic7xxx in 2.0.35 resets on 2940U

Peter S Galbraith GalbraithP at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Mon Jul 20 13:07:04 PDT 1998

I tried the 2.0.35 kernel today, but couldn't get past the SCSI bus
detection.  the system was in an apparent infinite loop of bus resets.

Any solution?  Or would anyone need the exact message?

--

Strangely, I got a patched version of the kernel (for SCSI disk spin-down)
to boot without this problem.

However, like for 2.0.34 driver, the aic7xxx driver could not detect my
external devices.  When the Adaptec BIOS was set to Automatic, I got a
message saying:

 aic7xxx: Warning - detected auto-termination on controller:
 aic7xxx: <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 18/0
 aic7xxx: Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
 aic7xxx: If not, then please properly set the device termination
 aic7xxx: in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
 aic7xxx: during machine bootup.
 aic7xxx: Cables present (Int-50 YES, Ext-50 NO)
 aic7xxx: Termination Enabled

If I set the Adaptec BIOS to disable external termination, this message did
not occur but the external device was not detected either.

So I'm back to using 2.0.32
I'll try any suggestions to get the driver to work again.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP at dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada