Quantum Viking + 2940UW = crash

christian.klein klein002 at bama.ua.edu
Thu Jul 16 08:05:59 PDT 1998

i have a 2940UW with a Quantum Viking 4.5 NSE Rev: 880R, a
Seagate ST32550N, and a Plextor PX-32CS all connected to the narrow
channel.  I upgraded to the a 440FX motherboard, a Pentium II 266, and the
5.1 aicxxx driver at the same time.  (First, I got a parity error before
the 5.1 upgrade if that means anything.)

However, now i have to disable
'enable disconnect' for the quantum in the scsi bios or it will hang the
scsi bus during large file copies (20+ megabytes).  I did not have to do
this before with 5.0x drivers, but now, after booting off kernels with the
5.0x drivers compiled in, the same thing happens. So, it's not the driver
or is it?  could my new motherboard/cpu be at fault or is my Quantum
disk drive buggy?  is it dying?  or do other people have to do this with
2940UWs and quantum disks?

thanks in advance,

christian klein
klein002 at bama.ua.edu