2940UW lockups, pls help

Wes Brown ziggy at internode.net
Mon Jul 13 06:53:08 PDT 1998

Hi

  I am running redHat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.34) on an alpha.  I am using a
2940UW scsi controller.  I have 3 scsi disks and one scsi cdrom drive
inside the computer, I also have another 4 hard drives and one tape
drive connected externally to the controller.  The problem is that when
the computer tries to access more than one disk at the same time the
computer hangs.  I am in a real bind here, trying to convince the powers
that be that this linux (especially on an alpha) is a good solution, but
this is making the machine too unstable.  What version of the aic7xxx
driver should I be using, or is this a current problem.  If so can i
partially disable the card to prevent it from sending more than one
command at a time.   Can anyone give me some suggestions here?  I would
very much appreciate it.

thanks,

Wes Brown, P. Eng
Sr Software Engineer,