Adaptec AIC7890 chip support on ASUS P2B-LS MB

Travis Oliphant Oliphant.Travis at mayo.edu
Fri Jul 10 13:48:21 PDT 1998

George,

I have the same motherboard with a SCSI drive and I just got it to
work.  I have been trying for the past week to get
it to work.  Currently, the support for the AIC7890 chipset is in the
pre-release stage.   Doug Leford is the maintainer at
ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx.  There is a 7890-Status file and
a testing directory where you can get patches against a "clean" 2.0.34
kernel (i.e. the RedHat kernel-source-2.0.34-1.i386.rpm which already has
patches applied may give you some "already applied" messages during
patching).

I got it to work following the advice of a previous message on this
mailing list:  disable the SCSI BIOS and the Wide Negotiation on the
channels with devices --- using regular BIOS Setup and Ctrl-A SCSI device
setup at boot time.   Then, I patched the kernel with Doug's pre1 and pre2
patches and recompiled with SCSI support built in to the kernel.

The system is booting off of a small 212MB IDE hard drive.  As it booted
it recognized the controller and then the drive and I've had a working
drive all day...  Hooray!!  I don't think it can run at full 80MB/s
transfer rates, but then again the hard drive is not nearly that fast, so
it's not a problem.

Now we'll see if I can get the system to boot off of the SCSI drive...

Let me know if you need further advice.  Good luck.

Travis Oliphant