Trouble with 5.0.19 driver on Linux

Steven A. Falco sfalco at lucent.com
Thu Jul 2 05:46:43 PDT 1998

Hi - I am new to the list.  I have an AHA-2940UW (bios 1.23) which is a
little over a year old.  I recently upgraded to RedHat Linux 5.1, which
uses aic7xxx driver version 5.0.13.  This version works fine for me,
detecting my UW disk (id 0), CDROM (id5), and DAT drive (id 6).  All
devices function perfectly.

RedHat has released a new kernel rpm, which includes aic7xxx driver
version 5.0.19.  This version doesn't work for me - the error message I
get mentions a "Parity error during phase" but it goes by a bit too
quickly to copy down exactly.  No log file either 'cause it can't get to
the disk :-(.

Just for fun, I tried building a kernel with each of the aic7xxx driver
versions from 5.0.13 to 5.0.19, and tried them all.  Results are:

5.0.13 - works

5.0.14 - sees UW disk, dies negotiating with CDROM with timeout on Test
Unit Ready.  It appears to do the "wide" part of the negotiation
correctly (rejects it), then times out during the "sync" part of the
negotiation.

5.0.15 through 5.0.18 - keeps resetting the bus - I think I saw an
Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00 time-out flash by.  Lots of "trying harder"
messages, but to no avail.

5.0.19 - Parity error as described above.

I'm sure this is all old news, since the negotiation code has obviously
been a bear to get working for all devices :-).  I've seen a news item
which indicates that Adaptec is finally willing to release some
documentation, so maybe you "old-timers" feel like things are finally
getting "under control".  But, if it is possible for me to help out in
some way, perhaps by testing changes on my machine, please let me know.

I'm quite willing to experiment with different changes to see what works
and what doesnt't.  Any info would be appreciated.

	Steve Falco