Problems using Adaptec 2940UW

Andreas Welbers aw at ind.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jan 26 09:02:21 PST 1998

Hello!

I tried to connect an Outbox-RAID-System with an Adaptec 2940 under
RedHat-5.0 Linux and get the following error message after kernel has
loaded the aic7xxx-Modul and tries to detect all connected scsi
devices:

SCSI host 0 abort (pid 3) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
(scsi:1:0) Abort_reset, scb flags 0x801, while idle, LASTPHASE = 0x1, SCSISIGI 0x14, SEQADDR 0x49, SSTAT0 0x5, SSTAT1 0x0
(scsi:-1:0) Reset device, active_scb 0
scsi0: (targ -1/chan A) matching scb to (targ 1/chan A)
scsi0: (targ -1/chan A) matching scb to (targ 1/chan A)
scsi0: (targ -1/chan A) matching scb to (targ 1/chan A)
scsi0: Resetting current channel A
scsi0: Channel reset, sequencer restarted

This error only occurs if I power on the RAID-System connected to the
Adaptec-Controller. If the RAID is offline there is no problem.

The SCSI-IDs are: ID 0 = IBM harddisk
		  ID 1 = RAID (IFT 3102U

The RAID-System is the IFT 3102U from "Infortrend".

All IDs and termination are set correctly. There is no problem with
DOS and BIOS (low-level format and verify are o.k.)

I tried to change all kernel settings for the AIC7xxx and also allowed
scanning all LUNs wether there should be only LUN 0.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

--
(Where there's a Linux, there's a way!)

======== ANDREAS WELBERS === eMail: aw at ind.rwth-aachen.de ========
Office: Institute of Communication Systems and Data Processing
        Muffeter Weg 3, 52072 Aachen, Germany
        fon: +49/241/806962     fax: +49/241/8888186
	w3: http://www.ind.rwth-aachen.de/~aw