aic7895 & Tyan Thunder II

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Thu Jan 22 17:07:12 PST 1998

On 22-Jan-98 Luis.G.Silva at inesc.pt wrote:

>Hi !
>
>Once again, *THANK YOU*, Doug for this new aic7xxx driver.
>
>About the support to the aic7895 that this new driver provides, it works,
>but I still have some problems (by order of importance):
>
>  - if I connect my Zip Plus drive (to Channel A), it loops, during the
>    boot, reseting the SCSI bus;

This is a known problem that can be solved (usually) by making sure there is
a ZIP disk in the drive at bootup.  However, the forthcoming 5.0.2 patch
should make this problem go away (you should be seeing resets caused by
underrun errors when the linux kernel tries to read the partition table of
the ZIP drive with no disk inserted).

>  - in my Tyan Thunder II motherboard (BIOS v1.16) it only works when I
>    force the IRQs of both channels to be 11, otherwise it hangs when
>    scanning Channel B, that has no devices attached;

I'm not entirely convinced this isn't something flaky with the Tyan
motherboard and it's BIOS.  After talking to Justin, the funtion 0 chip
should be tied to INTA and function 1 device to INTB.  I'm not entirely
certain Tyan didn't tie the two INT output pins together and that it's not a
BIOS bug that allows them to have two separate IRQ numbers.  I currently
have an email in to Tyan, but reputation is that they will be slow and
uncooperative on replying.

>  - it cannot detect or read the SEEPROM;

Yep, I don't think the Tyan has one.  It must use something else to store
its configuration and as of yet, I have no way to access the configuration
information (this is also why I wanted to talk to Tyan).

>Next time you have some free time to dedicate to the driver I would
>be grateful if you could give a look at this problems.

The first one should be done in 5.0.2, the other two will be dependant on
the response I can get from Tyan.  Your more than welcome to write Tyan an
email with your name, motherboard model, serial #, and request that they
work with me to promptly and fully resolve these issues so that you can make
full use of your motherboard :)  The more people that did this very thing,
the more likely it is that Tyan would be responsive and helpful.

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford at dialnet.net>
Date: 22-Jan-98
Time: 18:59:43