Termination issue on Gigabyte MB

Holger Bauer bauer at itsm.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jan 21 00:09:24 PST 1998

Hi,

I've got a Gigabyte DX-586 Dual Pentium Processor mainboard with an
Adaptec 7880 UW controller on board. If Linux (Vers. 2.1.75) gets the
verbose boot parameter (aic7xxx=verbose) the aic7xxx driver tells me
that both, low and high byte termination are OFF. However I've
definitely set Jumper 15 to enable high byte termination (jumper open)
and low byte termination is controlled by the SCSI-Select Utility
(EZ-SCSI).

My setup:

         68-pin SCSI cable          50-pin SCSI cable
   =======================|-----|=====================
   |                      |7880 |                    |
 IBM UW disk(term on)     |-----|                    Quantum U disk (term on)
 DCAS 34300UW              ^                         Fireball TM3.2U
                           |___ Low Byte term OFF (BIOS)
                           |___ High Byte term ON (jumper 15 on board)

What's going wrong? The disks are working but I doubt (since the aic7xxx
driver reports the wrong termination settings) if it's really o.k. Why
is my hardware jumper setting somehow overriden?

If this is a stupid question, please don't hesitate to give me a
stupid answer which points me at least in the right direction :-)

What would be the right boot parameters for my setup?

Holger