More AIC-7895 Info...

Kolin E. Hand kehand at spanky.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 20 11:04:50 PST 1998

Doug,

> >There is a strange thing: for both channels it says "BIOS Disabled".
> >Is this normal ?
>
> This should only happen under 1 of two conditions.  1, your BIOS is disabled
> :) or 2, it's failing to load the SEEPROM.  When you boot with
> aic7xxx=verbose:0xfff it should tell you if it successfully loaded the
> SEEPROM for your card, let me know if that happended or it if said it
> couldn't read the SEEPROM.  As a side note, on the motherboard 7895
> chipsets, the BIOS for the chipset is part of the motherboard BIOS (aka,
> instead of getting a notice that you have the Adaptec BIOS version x.yy, you
> chould get something like BIOS version x.yyzzzz where z is a character
> string corresponding to your particular motherboard type, on mine z is DK4
> because I'm on an Intel DK440LX motherboard and the differences on how these
> different BIOS implementations handle the SEEPROM could conceivably cause me
> headaches).

I also have a Tyan Thunder II and am getting a continuous resets and have
observed the "No BIOS" messages...

The Adaptec BIOS is 1.32 and the Thunder BIOS is 1.16.

Linux kernel is 2.0.33.

Aic7xxx driver loaded into the kernel, i.e. not as a module.

I get the following with "verbose:0xfff":

aic7xxx: <Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 15/1
aic7xxx: Loading serial EEPROM...
aic7xxx: No SEEPROM available; using defaults.
aic7xxx: Using leftover BIOS values.
aic7xxx: <Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 15/0
aic7xxx: Loading serial EEPROM...
aic7xxx: No SEEPROM available; using defaults.
aic7xxx: Using leftover BIOS values.

For the reset issue, here is more info...

I have the following, all on Channel A, nothing on Channel B:

	ID 0:  Seagate Barracuda (ST-34371W)
	ID 3:  NEC CDROM Drive (on the narrow channel)
	ID 6:  IOMEGA ZIP Drive (also on the narrow channel but on
	       an external connector that I purchased, termination
	       enabled on the ZIP drive.

Here's the dmesg output for the devices:

  (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
    Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST34371W          Rev: 0484
  Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  (scsi0:0:3:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
    Vendor: NEC       Model: CD-ROM DRIVE:464  Rev: 1.04
    Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
    Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: R.41
  Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

What I am observing is that Channel A is scanned, apparently successfully,
Channel B is then scanned, also apparently successfully.  I get a message
similar to:

	(scsi1:0:-1:-1) Scanning channel for devices.
	(scsi1:-1:-1:-1) Allocating initial 30 SCB structures.

Then the reset looping begins...  I get this sequence repeated indefinitely...

(scsi0:0:0:0) No active SCB for reconnecting target - Issuing BUS DEVICE RESET.
(scsi0:0:0:0)         SAVED_TCL=0x0, ARG_1=0xff, SEQADDR=0x103
(scsi0:0:0:-1)  Reset device, active_scb 0
(scsi0:0:0:-1)  Cleaning up status information and delayed_scbs.
(scsi0:0:0:-1)  Cleaning QINFIFO
(scsi0:0:0:-1)  Cleaning waiting_scbs.
(scsi0:0:0:-1)  Cleaning waiting for selection list.
(scsi0:0:0:0:tag29)  matches search criteria (scsi0:0:0:-1:tag255)
(scsi0:0:0:-1)  Bus Device Reset delivered.
(scsi0:0:0:0)  Aborting scb 29
(scsi0:0:0:0)  Using Wide (16 bit) transfers.
(scsi0:0:0:0)  Synchronous at 20MHz, offset 8.

But here's the rub, this happens when I do not have a ZIP disk in the ZIP
drive...  When I load a disk, then reboot, the reset loops do not occur.
The system boots successfully.

Another note, the dmesg info reports both channels, A and B, as Ultra
Wide channels, while when I cat either /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 or 1, they
list both channels as Ultra Narrow...

Kolin

 Kolin E. Hand                                    Kolin.E.Hand at Jpl.Nasa.Gov
 Ground Systems Section 314                                  (818) 354-3944
 Mission Sequence Systems Engineering
 PGP fingerprint:   5B 89 04 D6 4F 8F DA D6  7E 1B 64 DC AD D4 F9 92
 PGP Public Key:  Available upon request