Linux AHA-2940AU & Zip Plus problem (2.1.78)

Brian Ristuccia brianr at osiris.ml.org
Thu Jan 15 10:45:03 PST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> > My hardware is
> ?>         i586
> >         AHA-2940AU (Only extern devices, therefore manual termination enabled)
> >         HP Scanjet 4p
> >         Iomega Zip Plus Drive
>
> Most likely a cabling/termination problem.  Get an active
> terminator for your chain and make sure you've got
> good quality cables.  You've got two devices that
> seem to have a history of having bad termination
> (scanners and Zip drives).

Try putting your scanner at the end of the chain, and using a real
terminator (not the built in one). This is the only way I could get my bus
working w/ the scanjet attached.

I think the scanjet's have some sort of coin-flipping mechanism in them to
decide whether or not to terminate the bus... A real terminator makes this
problem go away :)

-Brian Ristuccia
 brianr at osiris.ml.org
 bristucc at baynetworks.com