lockups with 5.0.7 & 2.0.33

Ian Johnson irj at btc.uwe.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 05:23:39 PST 1998

> I am experiencing lockups (no log messages) on a Linux system, running
> 2.0.33, using either the stock 2.0.33 driver or the new 5.0.7 driver using
> an Adaptec 2940W and an IBM DCHS04U wide internal drive.

I've downgraded to a 2.0.30 kernel for similar reasons.  I've got
both a 2940I and 2940UW (both supplied by gw2k) the UW has my
"good" disks on it, which were severely corrupted whilst running
2.0.33.  Nothing logged, total lockup.
I *think* I have later firmware than you.

I've had numerous problems with older devices on the "standard"
2940 (mainly timeouts), BIOS is 1.1, and I'm wondering the same
about upgrading the BIOS.

Is there any troubleshooting info, or 2940 specific FAQ's around?

Cheers

Ian