lockups with 5.0.7 & 2.0.33

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Thu Feb 19 04:32:20 PST 1998

Patrick Michael Kane wrote:

> Greets.
>
> I am experiencing lockups (no log messages) on a Linux system, running
> 2.0.33, using either the stock 2.0.33 driver or the new 5.0.7 driver using
> an Adaptec 2940W and an IBM DCHS04U wide internal drive.

>  Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
> Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
>     Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
>       {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
>     Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
>       {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}
>
> The system locks, with the drive access light on, whenever I do extended
> writes, normally within a few minutes of starting the operation.  No errors
> are logged out to any of the logfiles or printed on the screen.

I think you have a hardware problem.  Try disabling your L2 cache in your
BIOS and see what happens.  I've never heard of the current driver (or
sequencer) locking up the SCSI bus when you have tagged queueing disabled
and only one device, there simply isn't enough going on with the bus.  Your
current setup is exactly that, tagged queueing on the IBM drive is disabled,
you're only using one SCB ever, and you're locking up during large writes
(aka, heavy DMA activity across the PCI bus).  That's why I suspect either
cache or RAM.

> Oddly enough, the system seemed to work fine under a slackware
> installation that was recently replaced with redhat 5.0.

Older, slower version of the driver, less likely to max out bus transfer
speeds I would guess :)

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but