Question about cabling.

Rob Browning rlb at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 7 17:14:40 PST 1998

"Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen at iworks.interworks.org> writes:

> It does sound like a cabling problem since shortening the
> cable decreases the frequency of lockups.

Well, I can't be absolutely certain that it does, but it seems to.  I
can't easily gather good statistics since that involves locking up the
bus entirely for each datapoint, and since I don't know anything
that's a reliable trigger.

> Placing all the drives on the wide cable should help if it is indeed
> a cabling problem.  But if were me, I'd like to be able to use both
> cables ;-)

I agree.  Is there any reason with ultra-wide that I shouldn't be able
to use both cables?  I was under the impression that as long as the
total length was under 3 meters, I should be fine.  I'm still not sure
what to make of the "1 foot minimum separation" recommendation from
Adaptec since nearly all the internal cables I've seen violate that.
Perhaps they mean external cables...

Thanks

--
Rob Browning <rlb at cs.utexas.edu>